Wednesday, September 28, 2016

God's GPS

"Which way do I go?" Most of us have felt similar frustrations about not knowing God’s will regarding decisions we face or crises we encounter. We may have felt envious of those who always appear to know what God wants them to do. And maybe we’ve felt disappointed after we’ve asked God’s guidance in a specific area and then not felt that we received it: “Where should I work?” “Whom should I marry?” “When should I make the move?” 

One of the great benefits of really knowing God is getting to know His mind, too. That means understanding what His will is regarding issues we face, and it is a blessing God offers to those who really know Him. 

Consider these promises from Scripture:

“I will instruct you and teach in the way you should go; I will guide you with My loving eye”
(Ps. 32:8).

“Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, ‘This is the way, walk in it’” (Is. 30:21).

“I am the Lord your God, who teaches you to profit, who leads you by the way you should go”
(Is. 48:17). 

(1) Lord will speak to us about His will through circumstances. 

We need to understand that open doors do not always equate with God's will. I personally have experienced the closed door answer. 

(2) God Speaks through the Holy Spirit

Jesus told His disciples that He would leave us the Holy Spirit to guide and direct us (Jn. 14:16-17). So it is for believers today. The Holy Spirit still guides and directs us, but it is important that we know how He works: 

God speaks from inside us. Jesus said, “The kingdom of God is within you” (Lk. 17:21). Since He lives inside us, He also speaks from inside us. This means we don’t have to hear an audible voice to receive guidance. But when He speaks, our spirits will hear if we stay in tune with Him and learn to recognize His leading.

It's important to understand that we have to stop running, and talking long enough to give the Lord a chance to say something to us. We all would like to have the absolute certainty that Saul had... you know "the knock me off of my donkey thing!" We forget the part about where Saul was physically blinded until there was full confirmation of the Spirits leading. 

God’s peace always accompanies His guidance. We can distinguish the voice of God from counterfeits by the peace we feel and the confirmation we get. When I feel that God is telling me something, but I’m not sure about it, wisdom says put it “on the shelf” for a while. I’ve often asked God to confirm His will to me in one or two other ways.

“The wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure and full of quiet gentleness.” (Jas. 3:17).  Peace is a reliable test of divine guidance. 

(3) God Speaks through His Word.

God’s Word is the final judge in all guidance. God never, ever tells His people something that runs contrary to His Word. Whatever method you use in seeking God’s will, begin and end by looking to His Word for instruction. God wants us to know His will more than we want to know it. We can find that will with confidence, or we can find it with fear. The choice is ours.

God’s Word is the foundation of all guidance. Here are some of the assurances we have from Scripture regarding knowing God’s will:

“Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand” (Is. 41:10). 

Rest in God, Don’t be fearful.

Wait on God. Don’t be in a hurry.

Seek God’s guidance. Don’t jump ahead. 

God’s leading means that we follow His lead. When we jump ahead by failing to wait on His direction or go-ahead, we cease following His lead.  Going ahead with your will means going ahead of God’s leading. It will never, ever be the best thing to do, so while you seek His guidance, be careful to wait on Him. 

Trust God. Don’t doubt His faithfulness. 

During my younger days in the Lord, He made His will more obvious because I needed that kind of reinforcement to keep me going. Maturity in the Lord means that we shouldn’t need constant affirmation from Him. We should keep trusting and cease doubting because we have experienced His faithfulness in the past. 

Confirm it, Confirm it, Confirm it!

God guides us in all three ways: 

Through circumstances, through the Holy Spirit, and through His Word. But our greatest assurance comes when we can triangulate the same answer from all three sources. It’s sort of like the GPS satellites that pinpoint your location by the intersection of 3 different signals. If you are seeking God’s will for a decision you are facing, and the Holy Spirit seems to be speaking to your heart, be sure to confirm what you are sensing by looking at the circumstances, and at God’s Word as the ultimate source, and sense the comfort of the Holy Spirit. All three aspects must function in harmony to assure true guidance. Only then should you move forward in a particular direction. 

Missionary and writer Amy Carmichael wrote, “Holy Spirit, think through me till Your ideas are my ideas.” That should be our prayer as we seek God’s will. Let it be our prayer that God will think through us until His ideas are my ideas.” 

That should be our prayer as we seek God’s will. Let it be our prayer that God will think through us until His ideas are ours!

No comments:

Post a Comment