Monday, October 17, 2016

In All Things

The child of God does not let a day go by, surely, in which he or she does not lift up their heart in thanking Him for His manifold blessings, bestowed in measureless grace, not only day after day, but hour after hour. As we delight ourselves in the Lord, we cannot help but praise Him many times daily for His mercies. How good He is to us always!

We thank Him for His goodness-- the goodness that we can see, the blessings that we know as blessings. But do we thank Him for the trials, the heartaches, the disappointments! Are we as ready to
praise Him when things go wrong as when they go exactly right? We tend to praise God in generalities, but do we thank Him sincerely for the very trials and sorrows that beset us? 

George Matheson, Scottish preacher whose eyesight became dim, put it this way: "My God, I have never thanked Thee for my thorn. I have thanked Thee a thousand times for my roses, but not once for my thorn. I have been looking forward to a world where I shall get compensated for my cross, but I have never thought of my cross as itself a present glory. Teach me the value of my thorn."

May the Lord teach us the value of the unpleasant things that comes upon us, the unwanted circumstances of life. It is so easy to thank Him for the roses. But it is not easy, is it, to give Him praise and thanksgiving for the thorns? Yet the way to know the peace of God is to see His hand and His love in the thorny places, and to thank Him for them.

Philippians 4:6-7
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer
and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known
unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding,
shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.


Always remember: Where there’s life, there’s hope; And, where there is hope, there is life.

Be Thankful!

2 comments:

  1. I needed this today. These trials work patience in me for sure, but I never want to lose my praise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an area that we all have to work on. Trials are not fun.

      Delete